Thursday, September 1, 2011

Music and Paint: Abstract Expressionism Lesson

 Part Two of our Classified Mom art project was working with the idea of Abstract Expressionism. 
(Part one was painting with Kool-Aid!)

 Canvas: I used one already attached to a board from Dollarama
Acrylic Paint: Dollarama again!
Brushes: We used a bunch of different ones we had in our craft cupboard
Music: I cut in a Hotel Costes CD, very funky lounge-type music with a lot of soul



As always, curious Kalia supervised
I talked to him about expressing yourself though painting and about what action painting was. I explained that if you can dance to music, you can also paint to music. He's three and a half so it was interesting to see it somewhat click with him. And while I told him he could move around and dance and paint, he preferred to sit and make his paintbrush "dance".




 We was really interested in the colours mixing and swirling together on the canvas. We normally use paper so he was excited about how much paint he could use on the canvas.

Trying a different brush...

 It's around this point that I had to restrain myself from yanking this away from him --it looked really neat but I left it up to him to say when it was finished

 Blue and red make purple --Logan loves to mix up this colour combination!
 
Patting the paintbrush on canvas to the music
Kalia and I watching Logan painting
 "I'm done!"
 I just hot glued the canvas to an old frame painted black
 Bottom two on the right are made by Kalia -see here


2 comments:

Aimee said...

Yay- I love it! I did this a lot when I taught art- played music and gave them random art materials. You should try different types of music and watch in amazement as their technique changes! Did you link this up to The SUnday Showcase? http://www.classifiedmom.com/2011/09/link-up-your-child-centered-crafts-and.html

scott davidson said...

I pondered to myself recently what were the most important things in my life. The answer seems to be clear that art was up there in importance. Why? Frankly, I don't really know. May be someone here can enlighten me?
As was my wont when I have some free time, I browsed the marvelous site, Wahooart, where they keep thousands of digital images for customers to select to have printed into handsome canvas prints for their homes.
This image jumped out to jolt my reveries: Still life with bread, by the Cubist Georges Braque. Is art like this picture, as essential as bread and water, or should I say bread and wine?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

How old is Logan today?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

How old is Kalia today?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker